Thursday, March 13, 2008

French Bread

This is the best, fastest, easiest french bread recipe there it. It makes 4 loaves so you can stick them in the freezer and use them for several meals. I used a baguette pan but mom told me you don't have to have a baguette pan!

3 C. hot water
1 1/2 T yeast
1 1/2 T sugar
3 tsp salt (I use kosher but you don't have to)
6 C flour
1 heaping T rosemary*
* (for just plain french bread don't add the rosemary..but we love the italian taste of the rosemary)
Directions: Mix water, yeast, sugar, & salt in a bowl and let stand for 10 minutes (will be bubbly). Add flour & rosemary and mix until smooth and not sticky. (It may take little more flour). I put a little olive oil in a bowl and then put the dough back in it and make sure all of the bread is coated with a little oil. Then you let the dough rise until it is double in size. - Tip: I turned my oven on to WARM while I was mixing everything together and then when it was all warm I turned the oven off, put the dough in the oven with the door open just a little. That way it raised faster. I think I left it in there for 20-30 minutes.
Then take the dough out and put it on lightly floured surface & knead until smooth. Divide into fourths and roll into baguettes and let raise another 10 minutes. (My baguette pan only has a spot for 3 loaves so I only did 3, not 4) Put onto a baguette pan. Click here if you don't know what a baguette pan looks like. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?select=C74&byCategory=C86&id=5394
Take an egg white and a little salt and mix in a bowl. Take a pasrty brush and brush egg on top of bread (it gives it a shinny look). Bake @ 400 for 20-30 minutes.
It is very simple and very fast. I started at 5pm and it was ready in about an hour.

No comments: